Named after Howden Minster which dates back to Saxon times and features the decorated style which are abstract designs drawn with a pair or compasses. The church became a minster due to the Prince Bishops or Durham having an important palace in Howden. Bishops Manor is the remaining part of the grand palace. In 1536, Howden Minster was an important part of the Pilgrimage of Grace; the most serious catholic rebellion against King Henry VIII. Although the Minster survived the Dissolution, much of the Minster fell into ruin and only the naïve was used for services. In 1984, the chapter house was given a new roof and the ruins are now in the care of English Heritage.