Named after Bishops Manor itself. The Bishops of Durham owned Bishops Manor up to 1836 when it was it was passed to the bishopric of Ripon. Rev. J. Dunnington-Jefferson of Thicket leased the building and in 1850 he removed the manorial buildings to the north and west sides of the courtyard. In 1927, the remaining buildings were presented by Charles Briggs to the people of Howden and then fell into a state of neglect for many years. The building faced demolition after a fire damaged the roof, but was saved by local people. In 1977, Bishops Manor was given Ancient Monument status and in 1982 Dame Jennifer Jenkins of the Monument Historic Buildings Trust (a Sainsbury Family Trust) bought the building with a view to restoring it. By 1985, the restoration by the architects Weightman and Brown of York was completed and the building was used as offices by the Press Association. In 2017, Screetons bought Bishops Manor and carefully refurbished the many rooms to be hired for events.